Covid-19 update - Level 2

No spectators again this weekend

Statement to stakeholders - Tuesday 18 August, 3:51pm

Please see attached the Junior & Senior Rugby draws for this Friday and Saturday. Please also note:

Staggered Days & Kick-Off Times:

To enable all rugby to take place we have split matches across Friday evening and Saturday. Where there are multiple matches on fields we have also staggered kick-off times to reduce bubbles overlapping.

For Junior rugby matches on grass fields this Friday there is no obligation to split fields in halves or quarters like normal. Please work with other teams at the same venue and if required set fields up with cones where the lighting is best. This could be a combination of on-field and/or training areas.


Spectator Free Please:

To ensure the safety of participants we are again asking all Clubs to promote the Spectator Free messaging please.

If we are going to be able to run all grades of rugby this weekend this message is more important than ever under Alert Level 2.

For Junior Rugby matches we suggest that one parent drops off children and then either return to the car or watch while applying social distancing. Where fields are split in halves or quarters there is to be absolutely no one between these fields (i.e. remain behind the sideline of a full rugby field).


Event Plans & Contact Tracing:

Last week we asked the home clubs to prepare an event plan, and both clubs to supply a list of 45 attendees. In lieu of this arrangement we suggest the following this weekend:

  • The team listed on the left (or home) side of the draw is responsible for speaking to the opposition about specific plans for the weekend. This needs to occur for all matches in all grades.
  • This is to include how fields will be controlled, and whether changing rooms will be available for teams
  • WRFU will check in with Clubs either Thursday or Friday to discuss arrangements and address any concerns

We are working with each of the Councils to have the NZ COVID Tracer App QR code at all venue entrances. We suggest that Clubs also promote their own IDME or Ripl contact tracing processes too.


Draw Alterations:

As communicated yesterday we are unlikely to be able to accommodate any draw changes this weekend. Significant thought has gone into this weekends draw to please as many parties as possible.


Considerations for Matches Postponed Last Weekend:

After consultation with relevant parties we can advise the following will take place for matches that were postponed last weekend.

Please note that WRFU explored the possibility of mid-week night matches for the Premier Reserve grade however ground availability and remaining weeks pre-finals meant this wouldn't be possible. Equally WRFU need to ensure that any decisions are equitable for all teams given the possibility of yo-yoing between alert levels.

  • Junior Rugby:
    • All matches postponed will not be rescheduled. Junior Rugby continues to conclude on Sat 29 August.
  • Senior Rugby:
    • Premier Reserve: These matches will not be rescheduled and in accordance with WRFU By-Laws will be declared a Match Not Played. Each match will be declared a 0-0 draw and each team will receive 3 competition points.
    • Under 21's: Last weekend's matches will be rescheduled between the last round robin and Semi-Finals. The SF's and Finals will be pushed out a week meaning the grade now finishes on September 26th.
    • Under 85kg: Last weekend's matches will be rescheduled between the last round robin and Semi-Finals. The SF's and Finals will be pushed out a week meaning the grade now finishes on September 12th.
    • Reserve Grade: These matches will not be rescheduled and in accordance with WRFU By-Laws will be declared a Match Not Played. Each match will be declared a 0-0 draw and each team will receive 3 competition points.
    • Presidents: These matches are deemed cancelled and will not be rescheduled at this stage.


We appreciate that this weeks draw is unique, however we trust that as leaders within your communities you will promote why we are scheduling matches this way, while we remain at Level 2.

Should you have any questions please feel free to reach out to myself or anyone else within the Community Rugby Team.


Thanks in advance for your understanding.
WRFU Community Rugby Team



Statement to stakeholders - Monday 17 August, 5:06pm

Following on from last week's correspondence, WRFU have been working through options for all grades of Club Rugby to be played this coming weekend. This includes all grades of Junior and Senior Rugby.

We aren't quite in a position to share this with you this afternoon as we are awaiting Council sign-off.

What we can share for now is that we will be utilising Friday evening for three Senior matches, and utilising a number of grass fields on Friday Evening for Junior Rugby to be played under lights. We will also be tweaking kick-off times where required to create a buffer between matches. We appreciate this is abnormal and will create some challenges, however if we didn't adopt this approach we would be forced to cancel some grades.

Once the draw is signed off by Council we will share immediately. This is likely to be tomorrow early afternoon.

Please understand that this week is unique and we are highly unlikely to be able to accommodate any changes to this draw once published.

In the meantime we wish to reiterate that all grades are playing this Friday or Saturday.

Should you have any questions please don't hesitate to reach out to any member of the Community Rugby team.


Thanks in advance for your understanding.
WRFU Community Rugby Team



Issued to WRFU Stakeholders on Friday 14 August 2020, 2:20pm

Following consultation with council and facility authorities, WRFU can regretfully confirm that all junior club rugby is cancelled for Saturday 15 August.

This decision runs parallel to those made by other sporting codes and provincial unions around the country, and we can assure you it has not been made lightly. WRFU share the disappointment that the community will experience, although the safety of our players and the rugby community is paramount.

Regardless of the Government's announcement at 5:30pm, the decision to cancel all junior club rugby for Saturday 15 August is final.

Please note that this does not set a precedent and we will keep you updated in respect to any decisions regarding future weeks of junior club rugby. We remain hopeful that we will be able to resume junior rugby in future weeks, even at Level 2, and have already started devising safety and match management plans to that effect.

WRFU wish to reiterate that no final decision on senior rugby will be made until after the Government's announcement at 5:30pm.


Issued to WRFU Stakeholders on Thursday 13 August 2020, 12:01pm

Please see below Update #4 following the move back to COVID-19 Alert Level Two.

Until a final decision is made by WRFU tomorrow afternoon Clubs and Schools:

  • Are able to continue contact training in line with requirements in Update #3, and
  • Should remain ready to play matches this Saturday.
  • Clubrooms can remain open so long as the three S's can be adhered to; Seated, Single Server and Separation

Management have completed some scenario planning for alert levels 1-3. These are:

Level One: BAU with increased focus on contact tracing processes and improved hygiene/sanitation processes.

Level Three: No Community Sport permitted. This includes both trainings and matches.

Level Two:

  • Any matches played at Level Two will require compromises by Clubs. This may involve cancellations and matches being played at neutral venues where entry to fields can be tightly managed.
  • Each field (within a ground) would be required to adhere to a 100 person bubble and Clubs will be tasked with managing this.
  • Each bubble needs to include all players, management, officials and spectators
  • No bubbles can interact with each other which creates difficulty for grounds with more than one field, and matches at the same time
  • See attached NZR requirements for matches at Level Two

Our next update will be issued tomorrow afternoon, unless there are further announcements this afternoon that necessitate a further update today.

In the meantime please think about the implications of the Level Two requirements for your Club, and should you have any questions, concerns or want any clarification, please get in contact with Michael Langley, Community Rugby Liaison Officer (Club Capability) - michael.langley@wrfu.co.nz, 021 390 463.

MoST Content Management V3.0.7525