Junior Rugby restarting
Junior Convenor Bevan Brocklehurst shares an update on Junior Rugby getting underway...
Great news everyone. Rugby is back on the menu and based on the latest updates from Wellington Rugby we are now working towards a Friday 19/Saturday 20 June start date for the junior rugby season.
There is much to cover in this update so please take the time to read through it.
The lockdown has had a massive impact on preparations for the season. Some notable differences this season are:
- Junior rugby will continue throughout the July school holidays to allow for 11 weeks of rugby with the season ending on Sat 29 August
- No regional weigh-in event. Weigh-ins will be completed by the clubs themselves. Existing weight and grading criteria and dispensation processes still apply.
- Small blacks and coaching courses - currently awaiting further advice from NZ Rugby and Wellington rugby
Little Rippas Nursery Grade
This will commence from Saturday 6 June and be held between 9 to 9:30am in the MSP gym. We are still taking registrations, so please encourage any of your kids' friends to join in the fun and we will process their registrations at the Little Rippa sessions.
Teams are in the process of being confirmed. Expect another email during this week to learn of team allocations. Note, these are based on the indicative weights provided in the online registration form, so may be subject to change.
We will start off with a select number of teams commencing practices next week. You will receive comms from your coach about your training night. We intend to complete the registration process (weigh-in and provide jersey) for those teams training next week.
For those not training next week, we will arrange a one-off registration event on Saturday 6 June 9:30 - 11am. If you do not have a jersey and have not completed weigh in before 6 June then please come to this event. If you really cannot make this event and do no have a jersey or have not completed weigh in, please let me know so that we can make alternative arrangements.
Covid-19 hygiene requirements
The MSP club is expecting to get sign off for it's return to rugby plan this week. In summary, we will comply with the requirements set out by NZ rugby which are:
- Stay home if you are feeling sick.
- Cough into your elbow.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Avoid spitting.
- Wash and dry your hands. e.g. before and after training, after going to the toilet and after coughing or sneezing.
- Don't share whistles or water bottles.
- Contact your local doctor if you have flu-like symptoms.
For more information and to download the hygiene requirements poster visit www.newzealand.rugby/covid-19
- Disinfect equipment, particularly the rugby ball, before and after rugby trainings and games.
- Ensure the facilities and training equipment you are using have been cleaned to Ministry of Health hygiene standards.
- Ensure there is adequate hand sanitiser and hand washing amenities at the facility or venue you are using.
We will also ensure contact tracing measures are in place for when you access or use the MSP rugby facilities.
I appreciate that circumstances may have changed for some of you over the past 2-3 months. If your children are no longer planning on playing rugby this season, it would be much appreciated if you could let me know.
I hope you are all well and have coped ok throughout the lockdown. I'm stoked that the kids still get to have a decent rugby season and I look forward to seeing you all soon.
Good luck for the season ahead!
MSP Junior Convenor